Starting your career in accounting has never looked so great!
We are currently looking to expand our team and provide a fantastic opportunity for a recent HSC graduate or university student who is excited about building a long-term career at Nexia.
Our successful Superannuation team partners with our clients to tailor and administer superannuation strategies to meet future goals, and advise on the application of superannuation and tax laws to ensure their self managed super fund is legally compliant.
By choosing Nexia, you can be confident you are getting the support, development opportunities and hands-on experience necessary to build on your studies to kick start a successful career in accounting; all while having fun and building a network of friends.
This is a full time position, 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and your studies will need to fit around your work schedule. You will be provided with 3 hours per week inside these hours to accommodate your university attendance needs. If you require further flexibility, please advise in your application.
Specifically, some of the tasks that you will be trained in and take ownership of include:
Self Managed Superannuation Funds (SMSFs)
- Prepare documents to establish SMSFs and Corporate Trustees;
- Update SMSF Deeds and Trustee Constitutions;
- Prepare binding death benefit nominations;
- Administer SMSF's including maintaining investments, activating data feeds and handling various correspondence;
- Collate SMSF Accounts Packages; and
- Attend to the lodgement of SMSF Annual Returns and Auditor -
- Contravention Reports.
- Processing bank transactions in Class Super;
- Confirm Investment Holdings by obtaining holding statements from share registries and other sources;
- Prepare financial statements to review stage, ensuring all balance sheet items are reconciled and analytical review is performed for profit and loss statement;
- Reconcile investment holdings and calculate depreciation on fixed assets; and
- Perform financial and compliance audit tasks as part of the accounts preparation process.
Income Tax Returns
- Complete basic to large SMSF tax returns;
- Complete and reference tax accounting reconciliations including completing exempt current pension income reconciliations;
- Calculate capital gains/losses and application of CGT relief;
- Check and forward tax assessment and PAYG instalment notices;
- Prepare and lodge Business Activity Statements, Instalment -
- Activity Statements and PAYG Payment Summaries for SMSF's; and
- Prepare PAYG Payment Summaries.
This is an entry level role and previous work experience is not required. To be considered for the role you must:
- have completed your year 12 HSC by the end of 2018;
- be currently studying or looking to study towards a degree in commerce or business majoring in accounting; and
- be a current Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
In addition, you will
- be an enthusiastic team player with the drive to achieve a successful career in accounting;
- exhibit excellent social and communication skills, both verbally and written;
- have a well-presented, professional and confident approach with clients and internal staff;
- be organised, take ownership over your responsibilities, and effectively work under pressure;
- have a positive, helpful and solution driven mindset; and
- have excellent attention to detail.
Nexia represents a network of solutions focused accountancy and consulting firms in Australia and New Zealand supported by global links to Nexia International. We offer a full service accounting solution with experienced partners and an enthusiastic team. The Sydney office is based in Sydney's CBD with 19 partners and 130 staff.
Nexia has an innovative, skilled professional and planning approach where your personal development is a priority within the team environment. We have a strong culture of being Agile, Accessible and Advancing.
Here at Nexia we are also a very social firm with a wide range of events that fill the social calendar. This includes trivia nights, end of financial year parties and monthly drinks nights. We are also heavily involved in sports and the firm participates in mixed soccer, mixed basketball, City to Surf, corporate triathlons, CAANZ touch football days and firm golf days to name a few.
Nexia offers a comprehensive Cadetship, including;
- ½ a day off each week to attend lectures
- Study and examination leave
- Reimbursement for books and university union fees
- Wardrobe allowance
- Regular ongoing training – both internally and externally
- A vibrant atmosphere which balances work, rest and play
Nexia are also open to providing rotation opportunities to interested candidates.
For more information about us visit: nexia.com.au/careers/cadet-employment